Flooding, environment, and water experts answer public questions.
With infrastructural damage from last winter’s horrendous weather and flooding still fresh in our minds, along with the constant warnings that we will be suffering more of the same in the future, a panel of experts has been assembled in Cornwall to answer questions.
The questions will be coming from the public and could be on anything from the recent revelations by the Committee on Climate Change that three quarters of flood defences are not being adequately maintained, to what can farmers do to lessen the threat of water run-off from their land? The debate needs questions from householders and business owners on the issues and they can be tweeted using the hashtag of #floodandwater.
Former BBC Radio Cornwall news editor, Tim Hubbard, will be chairing the debate supported by the Pool Innovation Centre to look at the issues. He said: “I am delighted to be involved in hosting such an important event; particularly in Cornwall as water can be simultaneously a resource and a threat. This debate is a great opportunity to share best practice, question the experts and hear new ideas.”
The panel will be made up of: George Eustice MP (Cornish MP and Defra minister), Cllr Edwina Hannaford (Cornwall Council portfolio holder for environment), Alan Goddard (Cornish Mutual MD), Mary Dhonau OBE (national flooding campaigner), and Steven Richford (Richfords Fire & Flood MD).
The event is being staged 21st August from 6pm at the Pool Innovation Centre. Centre manager Richard Scutt said: “We are keen to support this debate as it is an important issue affecting not only businesses, but everyone in the country. We are keen to see people informed and have the chance to ask questions on the topic.”
The range of members on the panel should be able to cover off conversation involving: insurance, prevention, restoration, land use, and environmental concerns.
For more information, please contact Michael Cooper 01209 722522 / 07968 175455
Notes for editors:
• Sign up for FREE tickets https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/water-security-and-flooding-debate-tickets-12208942275
• Questions can be tweeted using the hashtag: #floodandwater
• Pool Innovation Centre is supporting the event.
• Background on George Eustice https://www.gov.uk/government/people/george-eustice
• Background on Alan Goddard http://www.cornishmutual.co.uk/about-us/our-directors/
• Background on Mary Dhonau OBE http://www.marydhonau.co.uk/
• Background on Steven Richford & Richfords http://www.richfords.com/about-us/
• Background on Tim Hubbard http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/articles/2006/06/05/tim_profile_feature.shtml
• Background on Edwina Hannaford https://democracy.cornwall.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=2140